There are countless cannabis concentrate products available under the term cannabis concentrate. Unfortunately, concentrate terminology is confusing, chemical profiles are complicated, and an overwhelming variety of products are available.
You can decide what type of concentrate delivers the specific benefits and effects you prefer by familiarizing yourself with the manufacturing process if you are new to concentrates or Cannabis generally.
Let’s take a closer look at Cannabis Concentrates.
The Basics Of Cannabis Concentrates
Among cannabis resins, concentrates contain cannabinoids and terpenes in high concentrations. Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) are high in Cannabis concentrates. There is often a four-fold increase in THC content in Cannabis focuses compared to high-quality marijuana.
The packaging of concentrates usually resembles that of lip balms. A flat plastic bag is commonly used for packaging cannabis concentrates. Concentrates are packaged differently based on their consistency. It depends on the extraction method’s consistency and the compounds the concentrate consists of.
How Is Cannabis Concentrate Made?
Modern equipment can be used to make Cannabis concentrates commercially or at home. There are several ways in which they can be produced, including:
- Generic Dry Processing: This is one of the simplest methods of making cannabis concentrates and involves drying the plant material and then sifting it to remove the trichomes (the resin glands that contain the active compounds). The sifted material is then collected and pressed into a block or molded into a shape.
- Dry-Ice Processing: This method involves using dry ice to freeze the plant material, making the trichomes brittle and easy to break off. The frozen material is then agitated in a container with a mesh screen, causing the trichomes to fall through and be collected. The collected material can then be pressed or molded into a concentrate.
- Water Processing: This method involves using ice-cold water to separate the trichomes from the plant material. The plant material is agitated in a container of ice water, causing the trichomes to separate and sink to the bottom. The collected trichomes are then dried and pressed or molded into a concentrate.
- Pressure and Heat: This method, also known as rosin pressing, involves using heat and pressure to extract the active compounds from the plant material. The material is placed between two heated metal plates and pressed together with a high amount of pressure. The resulting extract is then collected and molded or pressed into a concentrate.
- Nonflammable Carbon Dioxide Solvents: This method involves using supercritical carbon dioxide (CO2) as a solvent to extract the active compounds from the plant material. This method is safe and produces a high-quality concentrate, but requires specialized equipment.
- Flammable Solvents: This method involves using flammable solvents such as butane, propane, ether, or alcohol to extract the active compounds from the plant material. This method can be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken but is efficient and relatively inexpensive. One popular type of concentrate made using this method is butane hash oil (BHO).
What Are The Types Of Concentrates
Let’s take a look at the various types of cannabis concentrates.
- Water Hash
The various methods used to produce water hash result in different products (bubble hash, solventless wax, ice wax, etc.). The primary process involves mixing Cannabis with ice and water, then shifting the mixture to separate the trichomes.
BHO’s wax becomes soft and brittle when vacuumed or whipped, making it easy to crumble. However, it is possible to break the crumble into dabs of the appropriate size after it has been sufficiently broken down.
Water pipes or vaporizers are used to smoke a “dab” of wax. As wax concentrates are the stickiest form of concentrates, you can only handle them with a dab tool.
Most users prefer rosin or water hash/kief concentrates from dried, trimmed, or lower-grade buds. A hair straightener, parchment paper, a hair straightener, some hand pressure, and a hair straightener are all you need to make rosin. It will also look similar to a golden shatter or oily extract obtained by solvent extraction since it will appear identical to pressed high-quality water hash.
C02 is sometimes substituted for butane in the manufacture of concentrates. Runny syringes or containers can result from this process. Compared to BHO, the taste is mostly a matter of personal preference.
Shattered BHO (butane hash oil) is a glass-like substance that splits into many pieces when heated. Most shatter is smooth, clear, and solid, except for glass. Known for its purity, shatter is the most sought-after concentrate.
How To Consume Cannabis Concentrates
When it comes to learning how to consume cannabis concentrates, you’ve probably heard of ‘doing dabs.’ Dab rigs, vaporizers, or pipes are used to vape or smoke small portions of concentrates or extracts.
In most cases, dab rigs are used to do dabs. Specifically designed for vaping concentrates, dab rigs are glass water pipes. In contrast to bongs, dab rigs have a nail for placing your dabs on instead of a bowl for holding your buds.
A butane torch is used to heat the nail for 30–60 seconds before adding the dab. The dab can be inhaled through the rig’s mouthpiece once it hits the hot nail, turning into vapor. As a result, dab rigs produce thick, flavorful clouds of steam to enjoy higher-quality smoke.
Dab pens (wax pens) are another popular method of consuming concentrates. Concentrate vaporizers that look like pens and are designed explicitly with concentrates.
Like portable dab rigs, they can be used instantly to smoke a dab. Many believe dab pens produce less flavorful and smooth vapor than dab rigs, but they are much more convenient and portable.
Many conventional vaporizers can also be used to vape concentrates. If you intend to vape concentrates, make sure your vaporizer is designed for the purpose.
When you vape extracts using a vape that is designed to dry vape flowers, you may damage the device and possibly break it.
It is also important to mention that concentrates can be smoked without using a bong, or pipe. Instead, you can boost the potency of your smoke and give it a little extra kick by adding a dab.
Cannabis concentrates can be a great way to maximize the effect of Cannabis for either recreational or medicinal use.
It is, however, essential to remember that should you be taking Cannabis for medical reasons, you need to check with the medical or health professional first.
Recreational users should also be aware of the potential safety issues involved with not using concentrates properly.