Cannabis flower is such a versatile ingredient, and lots of people love cooking with cannabis for holidays and special occasions, like Thanksgiving. There are so many great holiday cannabis recipes to try, and this guide will cover the basics of cannabis cooking as well as showcase some super Thanksgiving-themed recipes with cannabis oil, butter, and tinctures.
Things to Know Before Cooking with Cannabis for Thanksgiving
Before you get started with any holiday cannabis recipes, it’s important to have a basic understanding of how cannabis infusion works and what’s involved with cannabis cooking.
- Cannabis Infusion: The whole idea of cooking with cannabis is to infuse the potent potential and benefits of the plant into your food. Usually, this is done by first making some sort of infused cannabis oil, butter, or tincture, which you can then use as an ingredient in your edible recipes.
- The Importance of Decarbing: Before infusing cannabis into any oil or butter, you have to decarb or decarboxylate it. That might sound pretty scary and confusing at first, but it’s actually super simple. Decarbing just means heating the cannabis to release and activate the cannabinoids. You can heat some ground flowers in the oven at 220F to decarb them.
- Choosing the Right Strains: There are lots of different strains of cannabis with varying aromas, flavors, and levels of cannabinoids like CBD and THC. They also have very different effects, depending on their content, and it’s important to consider which strains and effects you want to enjoy when cooking with cannabis.
Responsible Thanksgiving and Cooking with Cannabis
While it can be fun to serve up a Thanksgiving turkey cooked with cannabis or other cannabis-infused holiday treats, it’s important to do so in a responsible manner.
Remember to be careful with dosing cannabis edibles, and always opt for smaller doses over larger ones to reduce the risk of adverse effects or unwanted reactions. Balance CBD and THC ratios according to your needs and those of your guests to ensure that everyone has the most pleasant experiences, and always consume cannabis food responsibly.
Cannabis Recipes: Thanksgiving Turkey Cooked with Cannabis
- 1 cup of butter
- 4 cups of chopped garlic
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Cannabis plant material, as desired
- To start off your turkey cooked with cannabis, take the turkey out of the freezer and give it time to thaw.
- Decarb your cannabis using the oven method or another decarbing method.
- Mix the cannabis with melted butter in a saucepan, and let it infuse and cool in the fridge.
- Put pieces of cannabutter between the turkey skin and meat all along the body.
- Add your herbs and spices around the skin.
- Bake the turkey according to your desires.
Cannabis-Infused Turkey Gravy
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup of Turkey juice
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- Salt & pepper
- 1 gram of cannabis
- Decarb your cannabis using your chosen decarb method, like the oven or a decarboxylator device.
- Mix your cannabis with the butter and let it infuse.
- Melt the cannabutter in a pan and whisk in the flour slowly, then add the turkey juice.
- Bring the mix to a boil and let it thicken.
- Mix in the herbs and spices of your choice and reduce the heat.
- Add the rest of the stock slowly to achieve your desired consistency.
Cannabis Recipes: Infused Pumpkin Pie
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pie crust
- Cannabis flower
- Decarb your cannabis plant matter.
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- Mix the pumpkin, egg, spices, milk, and cannabis together.
- Pour the mix into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Lower the temperature to 350 and bake for another half an hour.
- Serve with ice cream or weed ice cream for an even more potent experience.
Cannabis Stuffing Recipe
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 stalks of celery, chopped
- ⅔ cup butter
- Salt and pepper
- 12 cups of air-dried bread pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Several grams of cannabis flower
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Decarb the cannabis as you prefer.
- Infuse the cannabis in the butter.
- Mix the cannabutter with herbs, onions, and celery on low heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in the bread, salt, pepper, and half of the broth.
- Mix in more broth gradually to achieve the right texture, without letting the mix become too soggy.
- Place the mix in an ovenproof dish and bake for 45 minutes.
These are just some of the many Thanksgiving-themed cannabis recipes you can try from the comfort of your home. With a bit of bud, this special holiday can take on a whole new flavor, and you might like to throw a full cannabis Thanksgiving party for your friends.