One of the most interesting things about cannabis is that it’s very versatile, and there are many different ways to consume it and experience its effects, ranging from smoking to consuming cannabis edibles, like gummies and brownies.
Marijuana edibles are becoming more and more popular, with lots of people around the world eager to give them a try or use infused edibles regularly. In this Edibles 101 guide, we’ll cover all you need to know about cannabis edibles, including the effects of edibles and various types.
What Are Cannabis Edibles?
First off, let’s begin with a definition: what exactly are marijuana edibles? In simple terms, cannabis edibles are food products that have been infused, baked, or prepared with cannabis or cannabis extracts like THC and CBD.
These cannabis products can be eaten in order for the user to experience some of the effects of cannabis and cannabinoids. They’re an alternative to the traditional forms of consuming cannabis.
There are various different types of marijuana edibles, including gummies, brownies, cookies, and more, and they can vary in terms of their effects and the amount of THC or CBD they contain. Users can even make their own THC-edible products at home.
What Are the Benefits of Edibles?
So, why might you like to consider using infused edibles? Well, there are many benefits and advantages associated with these products, including:
- Easy to Use – One of the main reasons why people are drawn to edibles is because they’re so simple! With edibles, all you have to do is eat. You don’t need any special equipment, so edibles for beginners are a great option.
- Healthier Than Smoking – When you smoke cannabis, the combustion process can cause certain carcinogenic or dangerous compounds to be released into the air. Edibles offer a safer, healthier, smoke-free alternative.
- Long-Lasting Effects – Many users of edibles say that the effects of a typical THC edible last for much longer than they would after smoking it.
- Stronger Effects – Some users also say that the effects of edibles are more potent and noticeable when compared to other cannabis products or other ways of consuming cannabis.
- Lots of Variety – If you go to a typical Torrance marijuana dispensary, you’ll find a huge range of edibles, with lots of different options to try and enjoy.
- Fun to Share – A lot of people like edibles because they’re more socially fun and enjoyable to share with a group of friends, which isn’t always the case with smoking or vaping.
How Do Edibles Work?
Next up in our Edibles 101 guide, let’s take a look at how these products actually work. The main functionality of edibles is down to the cannabinoids they contain. Cannabinoids, like CBD and THC, are natural compounds that are present in the cannabis plant alongside terpenes (terpenes are aromatic compounds that are less important than cannabinoids in terms of effects). The cannabinoids can interact with the endocannabinoid system in the human body to trigger certain effects.
What Are the Effects of Edibles?
The effects of edibles may include:
- Pain relief – Edibles can help people feel relief from aches and pains throughout the body
- Anxiety relief – People may consume edibles to experience relief from feelings of anxiety or stress
- Sleep aid – Edibles may also help people relax and get to sleep more easily
- Confidence – Edibles can also help people feel more confident and sociable for conversations and events
- Relaxation – People who consume edibles may feel more chilled out and relaxed as a result
- Managing inflammation – Edibles can also help to calm or ease inflammation around the body
- Neuroprotection – Studies have shown that cannabis edibles may also help to defend the brain against health issues like Alzheimer’s
What Are the Most Common Types of Marijuana Edibles?
As mentioned earlier on, edibles come in a range of forms. Here are some of the most common varieties:
- Brownies – Brownies are one of the classic edible options that a lot of cannabis enthusiasts have at least some experience with. They can have various flavors and taste mostly just like regular chocolate brownies.
- Cookies – Cookies are another kind of baked good that you can make with marijuana as an ingredient. They can have chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, and other ingredients mixed in as well.
- Candy – Most edibles tend to be sweet treats, so it’s no surprise that candy and gummies are also very popular cannabis-based edibles. They often have fruit flavors and usually, you only need to take a couple of gummies to start feeling some effects.
- Chocolate – Chocolate is another relatively common form of edible. Like the other entries on our list, CBD chocolate mostly tastes just like regular chocolate but contains precise amounts of cannabis to produce certain effects.
How to Take Cannabis-Infused Edibles?
So, how do you actually take edibles? Well, the best thing about edibles is that they’re so easy to take. All you have to do is either buy them from a store or bake them yourself and then eat them. The only important thing to remember is to get the dosage right and avoid eating too many edibles, as this could make your effects more severe and increase the risk of side effects, too.
What’s the Right Dosage of Cannabis Edibles?
The right dosage of edibles will depend on what kind of edible you’re eating, how concentrated it is, and what kinds of effects you want to experience, as well as your own history with cannabis and how tolerant you are to cannabinoids like THC and CBD. In general, doses anywhere from 1mg to 100mg can be used, and beginners should start off small and build up to bigger doses.
How Do Edibles Differ From Smoking?
Edibles are considered safer than smoking, as smoking involves combustion, which can cause dangerous particles to enter your lungs. With edibles, there’s no combustion to worry about, and it’s possible to use your own safe, natural ingredients or buy safely-prepared edibles from a store. Edibles are also said to produce stronger and longer-lasting effects than smoking.
How to Make Cannabis Edibles
There are many ways to make cannabis edibles, including cookies and brownies. Usually, the process of making edibles is similar to making any other kind of food product. For example, when baking marijuana brownies, you can follow a typical brownie recipe, but mix an appropriate amount of cannabis into the mixture.
The best tip is to look for recipes online that have good ratings and make sure to calculate your dosage accordingly to make your edibles safe to consume.
We hope that this edibles for beginners guide has helped you learn more about what edibles are and how they work. Be sure to contact us with any questions if you’d like to learn more.